Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A letter to my son

My dear sweet Zaney-boy,

If you notice Mommy hugging you a little closer this week or that your normal silly songs are replaced with Army Air Corps battle tunes you should know that it is with good reason.

You were a lucky little boy to have had the chance to meet your great grandfather. Your pop3 as your dad calls him. He loved you so very much and in the short time the two of you had together you got to share some fun family holidays together (your first Easter at your Pop Pop's house in Mountville and your dad's first Father's day) and you even shared a meal at one of PopPop's favorite restarants for his birthday (you sat in a restaurant high chair for the very first time, right there at the head of the table next to your Pop3).

You spent your first Memorial Day at your pop3's most favorite place in the whole world - his cabin on the river. You didn't learn to fish yet, but when you get old enough to learn your PopPop will take you out and tell you all about his dad. I should warn you that fishermen have a habit of telling tall tales, but when your PopPop tells you that your great grandfather hung the moon, he is absolutely telling you the truth.

Your great grandfather, was a super hero. He loved big hugs, superman, family celebrations (especially the dessert portion), rivers, history, bad jokes, reading the comics, watching the news, and singing. I should warn you now about the Happy Birthday song. Newcomer's don't do it sweetly.

You won't get to share all of these things that I got to share with your great grandfather. But we will tell you all of the stories and you will know him. You won't remember him holding you on his lap and smiling with pride and how he searched his collection for the perfect coin to give to you commemorate the occasion, but I will and I will tell you. The last thing that he told me, the last time I saw him, was to "hug that baby and hubby" and to take good care of both of you. So that hug, that extra tight one I gave you the other morning. That one was from him.

Love,
Your mom

5 comments:

  1. Geez Erika, way to make a girl cry over lunch! Anyways, I'm so sorry about PopPop. He sounds like a wonderful man and will be remembered well by his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Erika! I'm so sorry for your loss. This is a beautiful letter and Zane will always treasure this

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful letter Erika! Zane will treasure it one day I'm sure. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very touching Erika. Made me tear up reading it.

    I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eureka,
    I read this tonight at home late and this is the part of all of this that is so hard for us left behind, we can't share the good ones like your Pop Pop with the new ones like your Zaney boy. I feel for all the children that only get a glimpse of their grandparents or great grandparents its almost like no glimpse at all. Time with your Dad and Uncles will help Zaney know what Pop3 was like, and Yeah he hung the moon alright! Did you see that one tonight!

    I Love you three more than I can put into words, smoochy smoochy, Jeanjean

    ReplyDelete